The other night I visited a good friend of mine who is originally from Austria. She prepared a wonderful meal for a group of us and while we chatted about this and that everyone wanted her receipe for the "Schwammerl Suppe" - mushroom soup.
1 package white mushrooms sliced
1 package Italian (brown) mushrooms sliced
2 med size onions, diced
6 garlic cloves finely chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
3 TBSP tomato paste
3 TBSP white flour
3 TBSP creme fresh or sour cream
3 cups vegetable broth
2 cups garlic croutons for serving
1. Slice the onions and garlic and sautee in a deep soup pot
2. Add the sliced mushrooms and brown slightly until water evaporates
3. Add 2 cups of the vegetable broth.
4. Mix the flour in the 3rd cup until no clumps are seen and pour into the pot
5. Add tomato paste, parsley, salt and pepper and creme fraiche and let simmer for about 30 min.
6. Serve with garlic croutons on the side