If you are looking for an easy and healthy recipe, you will quickly fall in love with this Persian style Zucchini Fritatta, or as we call it Kuku Kadoo.
I like to use my Lodge cast iron skillet for this dish since you will need to move it from the stove to the oven.
Ingredients you will need:
3 large zucchini sliced
1 onion large, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, large, grated
2½ tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp butter or olive oil
6 eggs large
1 tbsp chopped Italian Parsley
1/3 tsp salt (or season to taste )
1/2 tsp black ground pepper
1/3 tsp saffron ground dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
1/2 tsp turmeric
1½ tbsp all-purpose flour ( you can also use tbsp rice flour)
1½ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp green onions or chives, chopped
How to make the Zucchini Frittata
1. Coat your skillet with some olive oil and add the sliced onions and garlic and fry until golden brown.
2. Slice zucchinis ( I use Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer by OXO), since it goes really fast. Add the sliced zucchini, stir and cover the pan with a lid. Cook until zucchini are tender.
3. You will notice that the zucchini will release water. Pour the mixture into a strainer placed over a bowl and save the juice for use in soups later on.
4. Place the eggs in a bowl and whisk well.
5. In a separate larger bowl mix the dry ingredients: the salt, pepper, saffron and baking powder
6. Pour the eggs over the dry ingredients and stir until there are no clumps.
7. Add the zucchini and give it a good toss, until everything is well coated.
8. Use the cast iron skillet and add some more olive oil
9. Pour the veggie mixture over the oil and spread evenly
10. Place the skillet in an oven and bake for 20 minutes at 350F
11. When done spread a teaspoon of butter over the top and bake for another 15 min or until the top has turned golden brown.
I made a salad as the accompanying side dish since this frittata is very filling. What I like about this dish is that it is ideal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Leftovers, if there are any, will taste just as well reheated.