The perfect Vanilla Frosting has to be finger licking good, but also retain it's shape. The right ingredients are key to success and this recipe will show you how to easily achieve this.
I am a true believer in natural ingredients and like to stay away from anything that is artificial. Vanilla frosting is so versatile since you can use it with chocolate, strawberry, lemon, carrot, and even nutty flavored cakes. It looks classic and most importantly tastes great!
There are many ways to create Vanilla Frosting. Some people like to combine Crisco and butter and swear that the piping retains it's shape better. Others use vanilla beans or vanilla extract and believe that the beans are more flavorful. My favorite is whipping up butter and heavy cream with Vanilla extract.
You will need
- 3 Sticks (1 1/2 cups) Cold Unsalted Butter
Many recipes call for softened butter and the main difference is that cold butter needs more whipping, but it retains it shape much better when doing the piping.
- 2 tbsp Heavy Whipping Cream
Heavier cream tend to add air bubbles when the cream is being whipped. It makes the piping fluffier tasting. If you have a Trader Joe's in your neighborhood look for their shelf stable heavy whipping cream. It works really well if you place it in the fridge for a couple of hours to get it cold before starting the whipping process.
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
Use 2 cups of powdered sugar for every stick of butter (1/2 cup). Increase the amount of sugar gradually to make the piping stiffer.
- 2 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1. Cut the butter into small pieces. Use the paddle attachment and whip the butter for about 5 minutes until the butter looks lighter. Adding the ingredients gradually will make for a lighter frosting.
2. Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix on low speed
3. Add 2 tsp Vanilla extract and continue to mix
4. Slowly increase mixing speed to high for another 3 minutes.
5. Add the remaining 2 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tbsp whipping cream and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract . Reduce speed and beat on low until all ingredients are mixed. Then increase speed again to high and mix for 3-5 minutes to increase air bubbles in the frosting.
You can make the Vanilla Frosting up to two days ahead and store it in the fridge. Since this frosting is butter based it will melt in higher temperatures.
- Scrambled Eggs Cuban Style
Cuban Style Scramble Eggs Eggs are delicious and not just for breakfast. Sometimes I crave something light and fast ...
- Taco Night with Old El Paseo Stand N'Stuff Taco Dinner Kits
#oldelpasotacokit Old El Paseo is a brand of Tex-Mex style food from General Mills. They offer a variety of products...
- Persian Quince Stew (Khoresht-e Beh)
Persian Quince Stew (called Khoresht-e Beh in Farsi) is a traditional Fall meal in Iran. Quince ripens in late Septem...
- Rice with Sour Cherries
Rice with Sour Cherries, known in Iran as Albaloo Polow is a favorite of just about any child. Who doesn't like cherr...
- Turkish Coffee
Turkish coffee is a strong coffee that is a favorite in the Middle East. When I lived in Iran, a chance encounter fou...