Makes one 9 inch pie, serving 8 to 10
It's best to select a combination of sweet and tart apples for best result.
Tart apples are:
Granny Smith, Empires or Cortlands
Sweet Apples are:
Golden Delicious, Jonagolds or Braeburns
1/2 cup (3.5oz) plus 1 tsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup (1 3/4 oz) packed light brown sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1 TBSP juice and 1/2 tsp grated zest from 1 lemon
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
2 1/2 lbs firm tart apples (about 5 medium sized)peeled&cut into 1/4in thick slices
2 1/2 lbs firm sweet apples (about 5 medium sized)peeled&cut into 1/4in thick slices
1 recipe All-Butter Pie Pastry Dough
1 egg white, beaten lightly
1. Mix 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, zest, and cinnamon in large bowl
2. Add apples and toss to combine
3. Transfer apples to Dutch oven (do not wash bowl) and cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, until apples are tender when poked with fork (ca 15-20min)
4. Transfer apples and juice to rimmed bakingsheet and cool to room temperature, ca 30 min
5. While apples cool adjust oven rack to lower position, place empty rimmed baking sheet on rack and heat oven to 425 degrees.
6. Remove 1 disk of dough from fridge and roll out between 2 large sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap to 12 in circles, ca 1/8 in thick
Note: If dough becomes soft or sticky return to fridge and let harden a bit
7. Remove parchment from one side of dough and flip onto 9 in pie plate and peel off the 2ndlayer of parchment
8. Working around circumference , ease dough into plate by gently lifting the edge of dough with one hand while pressing into plate bottom with other hand.
Leave dough that overhangs in place.
9. Refrigerate until dough is firm.
10. Meanwhile roll 2nd disk of dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap to 12 in circle, ca 1/8 in thick. Refrigerate again until dough is firm ca 30 min
11. Set large colander over now empty bowl and transfer cooled apples to colander. 12. Shake colander to drain off as much juice as possible and discard juice.
13. Transfer apples to dough lined pie plate and sprinkle with lemon juice
14. Remove parchment from one side of remaining dough and flip dough onto apples.
15. Pinch edges of top and bottom dough firmly together.
16. Cut off the excess dough, then cut four 2 in slits in top of dough forming an X
17 Brush dough surface with beaten egg white and sprinkle evenly with remaining tsp sugar.
18. Set pie on preheated baking sheet and bake until crust is dark golden brown 45-55 min
19. Transfer pie to wire rack and cool at least 1 1/2 hours before serving.