This is my new project for Renate Kugland, who lives in Germany. The aim with this reference photo is to turn the painting into what I would categorize as a portrait of a woman in a formal evening gown.
Since all I have to work with is this setting a couple of things need to be decided. For example:
4. color scheme
1. I like the stance. The slight tilt forward, the hands behind the back, mouth slightly parted - these all have an alluring effect - there is hesitation - what's going on?
Possible Themes: romantic encounter - go for less is more....
2. With all the stuff in the background right now, it would only weaken the focus.
Possible Solution: simple background, possibly with some texture, look for props to support theme (rose?-what color?)
3. Find s.th sexy but simple. Strap dress, s.th that clings to body heightening the theme. Look at statues to get ideas...
4. Compliments to Red-Orange?
Possible Solutions: Compliment is Blue Green, Split Compliment Blue or Green, Triads-Blue-Violet or Yellow Green.
Possible Solution:Maybe a greyed down Blue Violet to compliment her beautiful hair?
5. Do thumbnails - work out lighting and positive/negative space
A- too static, C- too much empty space, D- too cluttered
Solution: B - nice S curve, more drama, sense of vulnerability-being cornered
6. Play on hesitation, enhance the forward tilt.
Possible Solution: Full figure
7? no idea
Possible Solution: ask Renate...
Used Frederix 24"x 36" Red Label Medium Texture with three coats of Gesso(worked well)
Used Winsor Newton Pewter for the 1st time. Color had a nice shimmer to it but had to get mixed with other colors to get the proper shading going. Might be suitable for Jewelery in small doses.
More About this painting:
Painting Process from start to finish
Travelling with the Painting To Europe
- Golden Doodle Custom painted Portrait 667
Miniature Golden Doodle Portrait painting in progress Read more ...
- Keepsake Box with Sparrows
Another keepsake box with a ceramic lid tile based on one of my paintings. These little sparrows are huddled toge...
- Painting of Farm Animals 668
The painting of the Farm animals continues. After a quick color block in I started to give form to the 1st and larges...
- Combining Different Reference Photos for One Painting
Sometimes I get a request to combine several different photo references and turn it into one painting. Read more ...
- Subscribers to Portraits by NC Win Portraits
Every subscriber to my blog newsletter can win a free portrait read more here