Today I started with applying Dioxazine Purple (M. Graham) to the background. It gives the currently black background a nice soft hue and will be a nice compliment to the silver in the jewelery.
Working from the largest areas towards the smaller ones, the face came next. Being careful to stay within the already established values of the face, color was applied. After observing many paintings, I noticed that many of them "punch up" certain elements of the face. The actual color (not value) of the face will actually get adjusted as the painting progresses. Right now I am just putting down what I think I see. I also am going to use Red Rose Deep (Quinacridone) for the lips. It's a beautiful color and I am interested to see how it will work on Amal.