Stepping Stones can get pretty expensive, especially if you need a lot of them in order to safely navigate through your flower beds with minimal damage to the plants. I came across these instructions many, many years ago in one of my gardening magazines and thought I share them here.
Here are the materials you will need:
Tiles, Marbles or Old China Ware
Cement Stepping Stone
Ceramic Tile adhesive
Sanded tile grout and grout float
Acrylic grout and tile Sealer (optional)
1. Wear safety goggles when breaking the tiles or china. Stuff does go flying! I wrapped my tiles in a towel before breaking them to bits.
2.Use the chalk to create your design on the cement and start arranging the tiles. You can use the tile nippers to cut the tiles into desired shapes. They won't be perfect, but that's ok. Leave about 1/8 to 1/4 inch gap between the tiles for grout.
3. Use the craft stick and apply 1/8 inch layer of the adhesive to each tile. Attach each piece to the stepping stone and glue everything in place. You can remove any excessive glue with a damp sponge or rag. Let tiles set for 24 hours before applying the grout.
4. Apply grout and let it set according to manufactures instructions. Before you let it set clean the tiles with a damp sponge to make sure that non of the grout overlaps the design.
5. Once everything is set you can use a dry towel to remove any residue. Apply sealer to enjoy your new creations for years to come.
3. Place your design on
Of course why stop at stepping stones, ThimbleBiskit decorates Silver Trays and oh do I love this one!
- Testing Soil PH and Moisture with HealthyWiser 3-in-1 Soil Meter
Water and light are generally considered the two most important factors for healthy plant growth. However what does t...
- Floating Lily Flowers for a Pond
If you have a pond or a pool, you might be interested to add some color to your waterways via some Lily pads. Natu...
- A Basket of Roses
Artist=Henri Fantin-Latour (1885) has painted a basket full of beautiful multi colored roses. Old master paintings of...
- Tools for Making Topiary
English Garden Poster by Gnu_Attitude I have been watching a lot of British gardening shows and one thing that ...
- Pros of Deadheading Plants
#backyardpros #micro tip pruners I’ve been noticing signs of the shifting seasons for weeks now around the garden, b...