Kale is so good for you! Since kale can be a bit bitter it helps to sweeten it up a bit by adding fruit and some balsamic vinegar.
At just 33 calories, one cup of raw kale has:
- Nearly 3 grams of protein.
- 2.5 grams of fiber (which helps manage blood sugar and makes you feel full)
- Vitamins A, C, and K.
- Folate, a B vitamin that's key for brain development.
- Alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid.
1 bunch lacinato (a.k.a. dinosaur) kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
1 cup sliced beets
2 navel oranges or Clementines, peeled and segmented
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1/3 cup sunflower seeds or nuts
1/4 cup cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1 small orange)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, orange juice, vinegar and pepper. Pour over the kale mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce
Salmon with Chimichurri Sauce Chimichurri (chi*mi*chur*ri) is a piquant sauce which is popular in Argentinean, Urugu...
I love the color and taste of Saffron and use it often when cooking Iranian dishes. Saffron can be purchased in the U...
Tommy Bahamas Creamy Crab Bisque
Tommy Bahamas Crab Bisque A creamy soup is tasty no matter what time of year it is and I was totally beyond myself wh...
Banneton Proofing Basket for Artisan Bread
If you like artisan breads and have been thinking about baking your own bread, this sponsored post is for you. I am a...
How to Dry Apples
Apple Tree Wedding Thank You Cards by jinaiji I love dried fruit to eat as a healthy snack. You can make delicious ap...