Kale is so good for you! Since kale can be a bit bitter it helps to sweeten it up a bit by adding fruit and some balsamic vinegar.
At just 33 calories, one cup of raw kale has:
- Nearly 3 grams of protein.
- 2.5 grams of fiber (which helps manage blood sugar and makes you feel full)
- Vitamins A, C, and K.
- Folate, a B vitamin that's key for brain development.
- Alpha-linolenic acid, an omega-3 fatty acid.
1 bunch lacinato (a.k.a. dinosaur) kale, thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
1 cup sliced beets
2 navel oranges or Clementines, peeled and segmented
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
1/3 cup sunflower seeds or nuts
1/4 cup cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1 small orange)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. In a large bowl, combine kale, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper and sunflower seeds.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together mustard, orange juice, vinegar and pepper. Pour over the kale mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Rice with Sour Cherries
Rice with Sour Cherries, known in Iran as Albaloo Polow is a favorite of just about any child. Who doesn't like cherr...
- Turkish Coffee
Turkish coffee is a strong coffee that is a favorite in the Middle East. When I lived in Iran, a chance encounter fou...
- How to Dry Apples
Apple Tree Wedding Thank You Cards by jinaiji I love dried fruit to eat as a healthy snack. You can make delicious a...
- Tools Needed for Bread Baking
Baking bread at home is becoming more and more popular. After trying out ready pre packaged starter bread making kits...
- Herb Crusted Beef Tenderloin
I tried this recipes, which I found in the Cooks Country Magazine and loved the crust on the meat. The side dishes ar...