Recently I was wondering what I could serve at a holiday party that would be fast to make and most importantly not leave me with tons of left overs. As I was searching the aisles at Costco I came across Hickory Smoked Ham Steaks. What attracted me to these was that there was absolutely no fat in sight - thus perfect!
The only problem was how does one make Ham Steaks for six look festive? Well, the packaging of course! Thus Ham in a Basket was conjured up. It's best if you can find an oven proof dish not much larger than the Ham Steaks you are using.
3 Ham Steaks
1 package Puff Pastry
1 package Green Giant frozen creamed spinach
1 small shallot diced
1 pinch nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1 stick melted butter
1. Thaw the creamed spinach in the microwave
2. Place a bit of butter in a small pan and brown the shallots
3. Add the spinach, nutmeg and season to taste
4. Reduce to low heat
5. Grease an oven proof dish with butter
6. Place one 2 puff pastry squares on the bottom
7. Brush some melted butter over the dough
6. Place one Ham Steak down
7. Top with creamed spinach
8. Follow up with another Ham Steak and repeat steps 6 and 7
9. Place one full square of puff pastry at each end and tug under
10. Cut remainder dough sqaures into 3 equal size stripes
11. Create basket weave as shown
12. Make sure to butter up each pastry piece you put down
13. Place in oven and beak for 45 min or until dough has turned a golden brown.