Celery is known to lower blood pressure and to have anti cancer compounds. Dill which is also used in this dish helps with digestion and insomnia. I like it because it tastes great!
Traditionally this dish is made with stew meat or chicken, but tastes just as great vegan style.
It is served on a bed of Basmati rice.
1 large onion thinly diced
1/2 pound stew meat (cut into small cubes) or 1/2 lbs chicken cut up
1/3 cup oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch celery, washed and chopped into 1 inch slices
1 cup dried dill
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 TBSP Ghooreh or 1 lemon (squeezed)
1 bouillon cube
Prepare the meat
1. Brown the onions in oil in a medium size pot
2. Add the celery and salt and sautee until celery turned a bit brown
3. Add 3 cups water, Ghooreh (or lemon juice), dill, tomato paste and the meat or chicken and allow to cook until tender.
4. I sometimes add a bouillon cube as well, just to give it a bit extra kick.
5. Serve over white Basmati rice
Now you know why my "Iranian Man" is all smiles! Click here for larger image