Once in a while when I end up with left over white rice I make this Persian dish called Tah chine-e morgh. Basically it is precooked rice that once seasoned, gets placed in the oven and takes on the form of a wonderful new dish.You will need a 9 x 13in Pyrex dish that is oven safe, since the rice will have to be baked.
9 Chicken thighs
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
16 oz of yogurt
2 egg yolks
salt and pepper to season
2 cups long grain basmati rice (uncooked)
1/2 tsp saffron dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
1/2 tsp turmeric
Pam cooking oil spray or a bit of cooking oil
Garnish 1 cup barberries1 tbsp Sugar some cooking oil
Preparing the Chicken
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. In an oven safe dish place the chicken thighs, onions, garlic, turmeric, salt and pepper.
2. Cover and bake for 1 hour. Then set aside and allow to cool.
Preparing the Garnish
1. rinse the barberries under water and remove any debris or stems2. Pour a little bit of cooking oil in a pan on medium heat and add the barberries plus sugar3. Cook until barberries start to puff slightly.and remove from heat and allow to cool
Preparing the Rice
1. Cook the rice until al dente or use about 6 cups of cooked left over white rice
2. Let rice cool down, then place in a large bowl
3. In a separate bowl place two egg yolks, a pinch of salt and pepper, saffron and 6 TBSP of yogurt and mix well
4. Pour the yogurt mix over the cooled down rice and mix well
5.Spray the Pyrex dish with Pam or use a little bit of oil to coat the bottom and sides
6. Now empty half of the rice mixture into the greased Pyrex and level the top
7. Arrange the chicken thighs over the rice
8. Pour remaining rice mix over the chicken and flatten again. Cover with some aluminum foil to prevent rice from drying out.
9. Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. or until the bottom of the rice has turned a nice golden brown.
10. To remove from mold allow the dish to cool down on a damp dish towel for about 10 minutes. Then loosen the rice around the edge of the baking dish.
11. Find a slightly larger dish that your Pyrex and turn the rice up side down.12. Now sprinkle the barberries over the rice or serve them in a seperate dish.