A creamy soup is tasty no matter what time of year it is and I was totally beyond myself when I discovered Tommy Bahama's Crab Bisque. This bisque is so creamy that it has to count as a comfort food for the sophisticated palette. I finally tracked down the recipe and hope that you will enjoy it as well.
1 lbs. crab meat chopped up
1tsp olive oil
1/2 onion minced
3 medium sized garlic cloves minced
3 TBSP flour (roux starter)
3 TBSP butter
1 cup white wine
2 cups of cream
1 cup chicken stock
1 stalk green onions , chopped for garnish (optional)
croutons for garnish (optional)
1. Pour Olive oil in a soup pot and sauté the onions and garlic until tender.
2. In a separate pan prepare the roux by melting butter and mixing in the flour slowly. As you stir try to break up all clumps.
3. When you reach a fairly even consistency slowly add the chicken broth and continue to stir.
4. Remove the roux from the stove and pour into a blender.
5. Add the onion and garlic to the roux and blend until you get a smooth texture.
6. Pour mix back into the pot and over slow heat add the crab and wine. Let everything cook for a few minutes
7. Now add the cream and let cook some more until all the flavors are blended.
You can add some green onions and croutons as garnish.
Some Fun Facts:
2. White crab meat comes from the claws and legs of the crab and while predominantly white in color it does have a naturally occurring red/brown tinge throughout. (Wikipedia)
3. White crab is very low in fat and particularly high in protein, it has a delicate, sweet flavor, a sweet aroma and a naturally flaky texture.
Post ID U7QfAY1dWIc