Who does not like a healthy, yet zesty tasting soup? I love this simple to make Paleo chicken tortilla soup recipe, because it not only tastes great but is super filling as well and just the type of food if you are looking for a low calorie dish. The original recipe was spotted on Linda Wagner's site.
Paleo Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 large chicken breasts, skin removed and cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
- 32 ounces organic chicken broth
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 jalapeño, de-seeded and diced
- 2 cups of shredded carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 bunch of cilantro chopped fine
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- olive oil
- 1-2 cups water
In a crockpot or large dutch oven over med-high heat, place a dash of olive oil and about 1/4 cup chicken broth. Add all ingredients and enough water to fill to the top of your pot. Cover and let cook on low for about 2 hrs or until soft, adjusting salt & pepper as needed.
Once the chicken is fully cooked, you should be able to shred it very easily. I simply used two forks to pull the cooked chicken apart.
Top with avocado slices and fresh cilantro. Instead of sour cream try greek yogurt - it's lower in calories and tastes just as great. Enjoy!
Interesting Facts - Click to Tweet:
Post ID: #06182014.U6HLFI1dWIc