I love rice with fresh Fava Beans because it not only tastes really good but is so healthy. It is even a great dish for those who are vegetarians since you do not have to serve it with meat or chicken.
- Makes 6 servings
- Prep time: 20 min
- Cooking time 3 hrs
4 Chicken Breasts
2 large onions, peeled and thinly sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
6 cups fresh dill weed finely chopped
1 tsp salt
1/4 black pepper
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 1/2 tsp ground saffron, dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water
2 pounds fresh fava beans ( see how to shell them here)
3 cups long grain basmati rice
2 tbsp yogurt
3/4 cup olive oil
How to Prepare:
1. In a baking dish, combine the chicken, onions, 2 cloves of garlic. Add 1/2 of water, 2 tsp salt, a pinch of pepper, 1/2 tsp turmeric and 2tbsp saffron water. Cover and bake for 2-3 hours in a 350F oven until the chicken is tender.
2. Shell the beans and remove the outer layer of skin.
3. Clean and wash 3 cups of basmati rice in warm water.
4. Bring 10 cups of water and 2 tbsp of salt to a boil in a large non-stick pot. Add the fava beans and turmeric to the water. The turmeric helps to keep the fava bean green color.
5. Boil the rice and fava beans for about 6-10 minutes. Test the grains by taking one grain and biting it. If it feels slightly soft, yet has a darker pin size area in the middle, the rice is ready to be dumped into a fine mesh colander. Rinse the rice with about 3 cups of water to remove the starch.
6. To get the crunchy tahdig, mix 2 spatulas of rice with the yogurt and a few drops of the saffron water. Pour about 1/4 cup of the oil on the bottom of the pot. Then alternate pouring the rice and fava beans with some dill and the rest of the garlic. Repeat layering and move the rice into a dome shape. Cover and cook the rice for an additional 10 minutes on medium heat. The idea is to brown the bottom of the rice layer.
7. Mix the remaining oil with saffron water and pour over the rice pyramid.
8. Put a clean dish towel or two layers of paper towel over the pot; cover the pot tightly to prevent the steam from escaping. Cook the rice for about 50 minuted longer on low heat.
9. Remove pot from heat and allow to cool on a damp surface without uncovering it.
10. Remove the lid and take out 2 tbsp of the saffron-colored rice and set aside for garnish.
11. Plate by arranging the rice in a pyramid shape on a platter, then top with the saffron rice that was set aside as a garnish.
12. Arrange the chicken around the rice and serve.
13. Remove the crunchy tahdig from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon and place on a separate plate.